Friday, October 31, 2014

The Royal Tenenbaums

The Royal Tenenbaums is a movie full unique characters with a specifically different looks that can be recognized right away.
I think Richie Tenenbaum is the most interesting character in the movie. During the scene where he decided he wanted to kill himself, the song Needle in the Hay by Elliott Smith was playing.
Richie is the real needle in the haystack of the family. He was the only one to have a relationship with Royal when they were kids, he loves is adopted sister Margo, and he's the only one in the family to have a failed career. In the song it says, "And I don't want to talk I'm taking the cure So I can be quiet whenever I want So leave me alone You ought to be proud that I'm getting good marks" This is showing how Richie looks at the scars that he makes. When he is in the bathroom and looking into the mirror, Richie says "I'm going to kill myself tomorrow." But quickly decides that he doesn't want to live anymore. He thinks his scars are good and helping him rid of his pain. Even though it is a very serious scene in a movie that is supposed to be a comedy, it is a very important scene for the whole movie. Do you think this scene was too serious?




1 comment:

  1. I don't think this scene was too serious, and it was definitely necessary to the film as a whole. Yes the movie is a comedy, but it was about family at its bare bones and the scene helped paint a more realistic picture of this. The true test of a family's strength is how they react to tragedy, and Richie's suicide attempt was the turning point for the film. Without it, The Royal Tenenbaums would just be another comedy about a dysfunctional family with no real storyline and no character development when it was so badly needed.

    ReplyDelete