Sunday, October 12, 2014

The Graduate

I haven't seen anything this funny in a while. Dustin Hoffman is absolutely hysterical. His comedic timing is supreme and his delivery of lines is so dry. A good example is when Ben tells his parents that he is going to marry Elaine, but hasn't actually talked to her about it yet. The way he says everything is just so blunt and very funny.

Something I thought about after seeing the film made me laugh. There is the typical situation of a guy having some sort of fling/confrontation/relationship with a girl and then he gets with that girl's best friend. Its just a bad situation to be in. Both girls get in a fight and eventually turn on the guy. Not good. I was thinking that's bad enough but Ben didn't get with Elaine's friend. Her mom! I couldnt imagine anything worse.

Aside from the great comedy in the film, the use of film is very key and effective. I love the idea of using all Simon and Garfunkel songs. I think they are such good songwriters and the lyrics played so well into the scenes. I found it fascinating that The Sound of Silence was played three times throughout the movie. I feel like it is rare that the same song is even played twice.

This was one of those films when you go back to it, you would be hard pressed to find anything that you would want to change. It is a very funny movie, but has the right balance of  real aspects of people's lives that we can all relate to. Example: figuring out what we are going to do with out future.


3 comments:

  1. I would definitely agree, especially on the subject of comedy. I also like the parallel you made with the mother-daughter relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with the first sentence of the last paragraph. I tried to find something that wasn't very good or realistic, but I could justify everything that came to mind. This is a movie of so few flaws.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree that there is nothing I would change in the film. Remember to ask a question and to use stills to support your good ideas.

    ReplyDelete