Monday, January 5, 2015

Taxi Driver

Scott Yarmoff
Mrs. Robbins
Film Analysis Period 3
1/5/15
Taxi Driver

I was talking to a classmate after class today about this film. She told me she thought it was kind of random and purposeless. While I would have agreed with this opinion the first time I watched this film, I think the fact that it was now introduced as a "documentary of the mind" gives it a little more meaning. The seemingly pointless narration and actions that Travis does now seems a little more justified in my eyes. I understand that everyone is a little odd when they're alone, so the "You talkin' to me?" scene and others like it make more sense. Do you think that the fact that it's a "documentary of the mind" justifies the actions, or do you think it's more purposeless?

2 comments:

  1. I think that it's an interesting way to look at the film. However, I don't really think it's necessary to justify the film. I feel that that is one interpretation of it. One could also say that it's merely a message to the audience that you can never truly trust what's on the outside if that's all you know at this point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you Scott in a sense. The way that Travis talks to himself is how all of us act. I know for a fact I have talked to myself in the mirror on numerous occasions and so have you. Although to the extremity that Travis has gone too with the "you talking to me" line may not be the same as what I do. This movie does introduce a documentary of the mind in the sense that all of do this, but in our own way.

    ReplyDelete