Sunday, December 7, 2014

No Country For Old Men

No Country For Old Men in my opinion was more terrifying to me than Psycho and The Shinning combined. Although The Shinning and Psycho had both psychological fears, No Country For Old Men was violent, gory, and brutal. When Anton kills the people he was sent to kill he's neither sentimental, nor second guessing. He does it without hesitation which in a sense ties in the factor of psychological fears. Anton's use of the captive bolt pistol  makes the deaths of the people he kills seem so inhumane and gruesome. What scared me most in this movie was the use of this pistol because of how it was a gun used to kill animals and Anton was using it to kill humans. It made the whole idea of death seem so unnatural and as if he were killing animals. When really all they were, was just humans.
Towards the end of the movie the viewers see Anton start to have what seems to be emotions when he's talking to Llewelyn's wife. He seems to be almost sad that he has to kill her, but at the same time he really doesn't care because it's his job and it's what he does. In my opinion the scene where he tells her that people always say, "you don't have to do this" is what makes me get the impression that he's over this murdering spell. Do you think that Anton has any true emotions? Does he care about killing Llewelyn's wife?

1 comment:

  1. I agree that Chigurh's weapon was more gruesome than a gun because it dehumanized the victims and treated them like wild, rabid animals. I disagree about the scene with Llewelyn's wife though because I don't think Anton is done with his killing spree. I think he has his own set of (twisted) morals that tell him who is okay to kill and who is not. I think what he meant with the "people always say you don't have to do this" is that to him, it's a burden he must do, he doesn't have another choice, regardless of what other people think. I think he has true emotions but they are his own, messed up ones that don't follow society's values. One of the things that I thought was interesting about the film was that the audience never finds out whether or not Chigurh kills Carla Jean. I think this leaves it up to the individual viewer to decide, which means the viewer gets to choose whether or not they think Chigurh has a sliver of decency in him.

    ReplyDelete