Tuesday, November 18, 2014

The Shining

The Shining is creepy. I have seen it more than once so alot of the moments that the class reacts strongly too, I do not because I know what is going to happen. I think the two things that are key in making the fear in this film are the music/sound effects and Jack Nicholson. The way the music and sounds is qued, it always gets a strong reaction from the audience and makes them jump.

In every film I have seen Nicholson in, he comes off creepy in some way and especially in The Shining...
http://www.lifeofmoe.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/The-Shining-1.jpg 

This shot in particular really highlights the fear that Nicholson can instill into his audience without any dialogue.

http://files.tested.com/photos/2013/08/16/52187-622609-shining_bike.jpg

Another good example of how music creates fear is when Danny is riding through the halls of the hotel and rides past room 237. each corner he turns the music swells, leading the audience to believe that something bad is going to happen and then nothing happens.

 Although we have yet to get to the really scary and suspenseful parts of the movie, the actors and the music have foreshadowed the terror to come beautifully.

3 comments:

  1. Great visuals to support your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, and I think the things that makes Nicholson so terrifying are his eyebrows. I've never seen anything quite like them. I also agree with your point about the music. For example, the very opening of the movie features a horrible, dread-inducing score which makes the visuals look frightening as well, even though without the music they would just seem incredibly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even though the music was used so constantly, it was used in all of the best times and in all the best ways making each section suspenseful, despite the reoccurrence. You are right, Jack, it did only get scarier from here. Nicholson's performance in the iconic "Here's Johnny!" scene is perhaps the most terrifying I've ever seen, and I've seen some crazy things. Good points here.

    ReplyDelete