Thursday, November 13, 2014

Psycho

Pschyo was enthralling. I really liked it. I thought it was a great thriller and really kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time. I don't really consider it a horror movie, but more of a thriller.

Alot of it is on the actors. Anthony Perkins does a great job of playing a innocent looking person with such a polar opposite side about him. His acting is also very complicated beause he is playing two different personalities and had to differentiate who did what: Norman or Mother.

Although the Actors did alot, obviously Hitchcock works some serious magic behind the camera. His ability to explain things just the camera and no dialogue is exceptional. One scene in particular is when Marium is getting ready to leave her hotel and run away with the money, the camera focuses on the money on the bed and then her and then the suitcase. Just by doing that, the audience knows that she is running away with the money and no dialogue was needed.

The music was also key in adding the suspense that the film had. I think the most recognizable theme is whenever Norman or "Mother" jumps out with the knife when he/she tries to kill someone.

The last thing I thought really worked was the twist in the end. The way the psychiatrist explains how Norman's mind works and then when the camera cuts to Norman and it's clear that he is 100% Mother.

https://d2nh4f9cbhlobh.cloudfront.net/_uploads/galleries/4465/psycho-anthony-perkins-as-norman-bates.jpg

1 comment:

  1. I agree. Hitchcock was a genius, and I think that although this is technically a thriller, it is scary enough to be classified in either genre.

    ReplyDelete