Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Psycho

After watching the film Psycho directed by Alfred Hitchcock something that was unclear for me towards the end was if we should have felt bad for Marion or not. As our main character it was tough to get a read on Marion, but I think Hitchcock was trying to show that crime is payed with crime.

In the beginning of the movie when Marion is driving we are constantly reminded she has a conscience as she continues to replay the consequences in her head, making her hesitant to keep on traveling. I think her pulling over because of the rain was her morals pleasing with her to give this rash decision some more thought. Consequently, she does decide to make the trip back to Phoenix when she figures out how much she owes out of the 40,000.

When Marion steps into the all white shower her innocence reappears and is ready to make the trip back from where she came. This white background reflects that she has made a 360 change in her life but was this enough? Clearly, Hitchcock didn't believe that she was worthy of leaving the Bates Motel to make up for her mistakes.

I asked myself if I was in control of the movie would I let Marion survive or not, so I reviewed everything she did up to that point. The answer that came to me was of course she should of had the opportunity for reconciliation. A quick decision to escape with 40,000 dollars which came with visible self questioning and guilt made the audience surprised when she was killed. I also believe she was a good person because of the reactions of her sister and the fact her boss wasn't pressing charges.


All White background


3 comments:

  1. I definitely agree that Marion had a huge character shift. While she was driving it almost seemed as though she was going to go mad with that huge grin on her face, but once we hear her conversation with Norman it is clear that she has guilt and that she wants to resolve her situation. In that aspect, I think that she should have survived. Arbogast, the other character who was brutally murdered, was innocent as well. He was simply doing his investigative job when he got stabbed. Since both murders were of innocent people, I don't think that Hitchcock was trying to send a message that "crime is payed with crime". It seems as though his real message was that even if you are innocent, you are still at risk (so watch your back).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your point with how you said crime was played with crime. I think that Hitchcock did a good job of displaying how Marion got what she deserved. Obviously it was a much more extensive way of getting what she deserved, but he was showing how bad crime is. I think that if she had the chance she was going to make up for her mistakes and learn and grow from them. I think if I was the director I would've wanted to let her live, but with a struggle. But then again it's hard to say because as a viewer we see Marion want to take back the money, but we don't know for sure that she was going to. I think Hitchcock did a good job of choosing and keeping suspense and the viewers on edge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You raise some really good points about the shower scene and Marion that I had not really thought about. I think Hitchcock, also, did do a good job in filming very closely and displaying how Marion went about clearing her conscience and doing the right thing. The white walls in the shower was an interesting point connecting Marion's innocence. I do think that Hitchcock should've had Marion live as she was the protagonist and see how she would carry out fixing her mistakes. But if she didn't die, could the film rearrange itself to still be considered horror?

    ReplyDelete