Wednesday, September 10, 2014

A Model Character


In my eyes, Rick Blaine's character serves as a model for what a man should be, not just an American. While many cultures, faiths and races of people hold different values closer to heart than their counterparts they often have quite a lot of overlap, and more than people realize. People as a whole, often understand love and courage, or at the very least, good deeds.
Rick's past before he met Ilsa was similar Viktor's current life, fighting and rebelling against the Nazi regime. Mentioned previously in the film, he ran guns to Ethiopia and fought on the side of Spanish rebels against the Nazis. Now the second act is a very clear stance against the Nazi regime, but while watching the film it seemed that some people understood that Rick running guns to Ethiopia was disliked by the Nazis, but they didn't know exactly. Ethiopia was a large center of conflict for the Italian (At the time an Ally of Nazi Germany) campaign into Africa against the British. There were many cases of native populations receiving firearms and weapons and engaging in guerrilla warfare against the Italians.
For me at least, I find these direct acts more commendable than Viktor's simply because Viktor was a different sort of revolutionary. His actions of writing and leaking information against the Nazis were inspiring to others. His actions promoted the action of others, he was a leader which are necessary in any movement but I find that Rick's character at least is a more model single man. Rick to me is one who took the metaphorical bull by the horns instead of inspiring others to do so. I don't mean to play Viktor down, any action against the Nazis took immense courage, and I'm not simply saying that I like Rick because he's a tough-guy. If you were to ask me who I thought was a better man, the one who rallied others to action, or the one who created change or at the very least tried to by being the action itself, I would side with the latter. If I was going to rebel against a government I would feel much braver, and much more hopeful siding with the man who had experience in the field, than with one who had experience in politics and leadership. As the saying goes, an army of sheep led by a lion is more effective than an army of lions led by a sheep.
Another quality of Rick's that I find to be a quality of a model man is the quality of his love for Ilsa. When Viktor said that he and Rick love the same woman, he was speaking truthfully. I have no question that Viktor loves Ilsa to the highest of his heart, but the film left me feeling that something was there for Rick and Ilsa.
The feeling that he loved her enough to let her go to America to be at peace with a man that she loved, even though Rick and Ilsa both loved each other; that was real love to me. Viktor was willing to lead Ilsa around Europe while he did his revolutionary work against the Nazis, but as Rick gives his farewells to Ilsa he makes it very clear that he would not let her stay with him to live like that, even though she already had been for many years. Rick loved her enough to let her go, and that resonated with me as the film ended.
I think Rick is a model man, obviously not every guy growing up should or can be like Rick Blaine it's simply impossible. But I think to strive to achieve certain qualities about him that resonated with you as an individual is not a terrible thing to do. What aspects of Rick Blaine's character do you find resonating in yourself? What aspects of his character do you find yourself striving towards?

4 comments:

  1. I find the analysis of Rick very interesting. I agree that Rick is a great role model for what a man should be, and how he should put others before his self. I find it unique how this version of what a "hero" should be like is way before its time period. In movies during the '30s most movies would finish in favor of the couple in love, which in this case would be Rick and Ilsa. I like how you point out how instead Rick is more realistic in how he chose the safest path for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "The feeling that he loved her enough to let her go to America to be at peace with a man that she loved, even though Rick and Ilsa both loved each other; that was real love to me."

    I never really thought of the ending that way, but now that you say it, I like it a lot and think it makes more sense. Before, I had taken what Rick said at face value, that he no longer loved Ilsa, and that they should just remember Paris instead of trying to rekindle a relationship. But Rick had never really been 100% honest about himself up to that point, and was revealed by Renault to be a sentimentalist, so the thought that he made Ilsa go for the greater good makes much more sense and is a better interpretation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a very interesting way of thinking. I'm immediately drawn to the idea of Rick being a role model, because I agree. He does what he thinks is best and doesn't listen to anyone. Personally, I don't feel as if the fact that he doesn't stick his neck out for nobody is such a bad thing. Sure, sometimes not helping anyone can be a poor decision. But Rick tries to keep everyone at peace, including the love that he lost with Ilsa. I think this is also why Rick lets Ilsa get on a plane with Laszlo because he knew what he once had could never be there again since he was "replaced" and left at the train station. Great job! I really enjoyed reading this post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post is full of excellent details and examples both from and outside of the movie. Great job! It's interesting how you focused a lot on Ricks actions from before the events of the movie, being more commendable than Laszlos acts. That's a detail that I hadn't thought of adding, and hadn't seen from other posts, so this is really interesting.

    ReplyDelete